Saturday, July 3, 2010

Game Recap: SF 11, COL 8

WE WON! DO YOU BELIEVE IT?? We scored 7 runs against Ubaldo Jimenez. No, I'm not kidding. I'm completely serious. Who would've thought that the 7-game losing streak would end by beating the best pitcher in baseball. Yeah, he had a 4.41 ERA in June, but during the losing streak the Giants weren't hitting against anyone, so I don't think anyone believed we were going to have any luck versus Jimenez. But all the better, I really hate that guy.

The offense got started early scoring 3 runs in the third, making the score 3-1. But the at-bat of the game went to Travis Ishikawa. The guy who was only making his third start of the year belted a grand slam over the right field fence to put us up 7-1. It was unbelievable. Finally, something was going right for these Giants. It felt great.

This game was not all good though. I hate to be negative when we just won for the first time in forever, but I have to. The pitching was not good again. Zito wasn't sharp at all, giving up 6 ER in 5 1/3 innings and lost a 7-1 lead. We went on a 7-game losing streak because our offense and pitching staff both weren't producing. But our offense is never going to be a powerhouse offense. Our pitching is the foundation of our success. We live and die by our pitching and all of a sudden it just isn't very good. I have confidence that the staff can bounce back, but if they keep pitching the way they are now, the losing isn't going to stop.

Also, I just want to say that Bochy seems to be completely ignoring Uribe's struggles. He's given Torres, Sanchez, and Posey days off to get them back on track offensively, but he keeps playing Uribe. His line is now .258/.327/.453 with a .780 OPS. That is a steep decline from where he was at the beginning of the year, and our lineup needs him to produce. Give him a couple of days, Bochy.

Hey, we won. And right now a win makes me feel like heaven. I wanna feel like heaven again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. It is disturbing how the pitching has been going recently. I think Lincecum is the key. When he gets back on track, everyone else will fall into their confident zone.

    ReplyDelete